Advisee and Adviser Responsibilities
- Post and maintain regular office hours; notify advisees of hours at the beginning of the semester.
- Inform advisees of their responsibilities.
- Get to know advisees.
- Maintain records of advisee’s educational progress.
- Help advisees to develop a course of study that takes into consideration their personal, educational, and career goals.
- Answer advisee’s questions about academic regulations and registration
- Approve advisees’ course selections.
- Provide information about programs in adviser’s department and about college and University degree requirements.
- Inform advisees about academic assistance that is available through the University.
- Discuss transfer, graduate, and professional school options with advisees.
- Write letters of recommendation for advisees.
- Know your adviser (phone number, location of office, office hours, how to make an appointment).
- Read your college bulletin; be familiar with program requirements.
- Be aware of important dates on the academic calendar; e.g. course cancellation and add deadlines.
- Schedule appointments in advance of important deadlines such as registration. Keep your appointments!
- Bring a tentative class schedule to pre-registration advising sessions.
- Prepare specific questions for your adviser and ask for contact persons on questions the adviser cannot answer.
- Maintain a file of materials that relate to your academic progress.
- Gather information needed to make academic and career decisions.
- Accept responsibility for informing your adviser about you and your interests and needs. Be prepared to discuss personal, educational, and career goals.
- Seek help from your adviser when needed, and ask about other ways that you can participate effectively in the advising process.
When do I meet with my Adviser?
Students are encouraged to visit with their adviser as often as they wish. You should make an appointment with your adviser to assist you with registration, program planning, and other matters of an academic nature.
How do I change my Adviser?
Do I need to change my Adviser if I change my major?
Students have the freedom to choose advisers. When students change majors or program areas, it is expected that students will change to an advisor in the new major.
Students need to contact the Administrative Assistant for the department holding the major to change advisers. The Change of Faculty Adviser form is to be used when a student request a change of adviser. When students change majors or program areas, it is expected that students will change to an adviser in the new major.