Services for Faculty

Educational and Testing Resources

Career and Transition Resources for Students with Visual Impairments

General Information


UMC Office for Students with Disabilities Principles & Policies

University of Minnesota Board of Regents Policy on Disability Services

University Policies and Procedures

Operating Principles

Rights and Responsibilities
Confidentiality and Release of Information
Centralizing Disability-Related Documents

Office for Students with Disabilities

Certifying Eligibility for Services
Determining Reasonable Accommodations
Common Academic Accommodations
Obtaining Academic Accommodations
Sign Language Interpreting
Assistance Listening Devices and Captioned Videos
Document Conversion (alternative print formats)
Assistance Computer Technology
Exam Modifications
Academic Assistance
Training and Technical Assistance
Attendance/Assignment Deadline Flexibility Accomodations

Disability Conditions and Instructional Strategies

Vision Impairments
Hearing Impairments
Mobility Impairments
Systemic Disabilities
Psychiatric Disabilities
Learning Disabilities
Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
Traumatic Brain Injury

Information and Referral


Equal Opportunity Statement
Disability Access Statements


Grievances / Student Concerns and Complaints

Grievances involving an accommodation for a disability, or alleged discrimination related to a disability should first be brought by the student to the attention of the Coordinator of the Office for Students with Disabilities. Concerns may include, but are not limited to, the provision of individual accommodations as identified in the accommodation plan, a needed adjustment to the plan, the frequency of the provision of identified services, use of assistive technology, or the quantity of the service provided. Concerns are generally resolved at this level. The Coordinator of the Office for Students with Disabilities may  also assist the student to resolve concerns associated with a specific course, instructor, or other campus staffperson or department.

If the concern brought by the student is not related to a disability issue, the student should follow the Informal Grievance Procedure as outlined under Student Grievance Procedures.

If the issue is not resolved in consultation with the Coordinator, the following procedure should be used:

  1. Notify the Coordinator via campus email that the concern has not been resolved to the student’s satisfaction. Reopen discussion to determine if additional options exist.
  2. If options for resolution have been exhausted as designated by the Coordinator, the student should email the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs at and request a conference.
  3. The student should meet with the Associate VC and discuss the concern and identify the desired resolution.
  4. The Associate VC will meet with the Coordinator and should respond in a timely way to the student regarding the decision. A conference may be held with the VC, the student and the Coordinator.
  5. If resolution is not reached, the student may request a meeting via email to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs at
  6. A conference may be scheduled among all parties involved. The Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs should respond in a timely way to the student.
  7. If resolution is not reached, the student may request a meeting with Chancellor Wood via email at The Chancellor will respond in a timely way to the student. The decision of the Chancellor is final.
  8. If the student does not agree with the decision, the student is encouraged to contact the U. S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights.