University of Minnesota, Crookston
Financial Aid & Scholarships
University of Minnesota, Crookston
UMC Today myU OneStop

Financial Aid Information for UMC Graduates and Alumni

NOTE: You are only a degree applicant once you have applied for graduation with the Registrar's Office.  Learn more >>>

Your Expected Graduation Term and Financial Aid

Your expected graduation term is recorded on your student record as the semester you plan to finish all of your undergraduate degree requirements. As a student who has received financial aid at the University of Minnesota, Crookston, the accuracy of your expected graduation term is important because it prompts the following two actions related to your financial aid.

Financial aid for future terms is canceled

One month before the end of your expected graduation term, any financial aid awarded you for terms that begin after your expected graduation term will be canceled regardless of your future enrollment status. A notice will be sent to your University student e-mail account to inform you of the cancellation. If your graduation is delayed, be sure to promptly update your expected graduation term to avoid having your financial aid awards canceled.

Loan exit counseling session is required

Before you graduate, you must participate in a loan exit counseling session and complete any required paperwork if you've borrowed from any of the following loan programs:

During the loan exit counseling session you will be advised of your borrower rights and responsibilities as well as those of the lender. There will be an opportunity to have your questions answered on loan repayment, deferment, and conditions that qualify for cancellation of your loans.

Attention Federal Perkins Loan borrowers: You are required to complete paperwork for your loans before you graduate or a hold will be placed on your record. You may contact or 612-625-8007 to request exit information. Please indicate that you are a University of Minnesota, Crookston student.

Attention Ford Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loan borrowers: If you have borrowed a Ford Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loan, you'll need to complete your loan exit counseling session online at the Department of Education.

Graduation Requirements

  1. To be eligible for a University of Minnesota undergraduate degree, a student must present at least 30 semester credits awarded by the University of Minnesota campus from which he or she is seeking to graduate.
  2. Students must complete at least half of upper division major work on the campus from which they are seeking to graduate.
  3. At least 15 credits of the last 30 credits earned prior to the awarding of a University degree must be awarded by the University of Minnesota campus from which a student is seeking to graduate.
  4. For students who seek an academic minor, to be eligible for record of a minor on the University of Minnesota transcript, students must take at least three (3) upper division credits in the minor field at the campus from which they will receive their degree.

A student's college or campus may, under extraordinary circumstances, waive the requirements in sections 2, 3, and 4 above, but not Section 1. All credit awarded by the University, regardless of the type of instruction, counts toward the credit requirements for the degree.

To qualify for the associate in applied science or the associate in science degree, the candidate must complete a minimum of 64 credits with a GPA of 2.00 (C). To qualify for the Bachelor of Science degree, the candidate must complete a minimum of 120 credits with a minimum GPA of 2.00 (C). The faculty reserves the right to change requirements for the various curricula. However, the credits required for the degree will not exceed the total specified at the time the student enrolled.

Liberal education, major, and elective requirements for graduation are specifically outlined for each program of study in subsequent sections of this catalog.

Diploma Information

A University of Minnesota diploma indicates a student's name (as submitted on the Application for Degree), the degree earned, and any honors earned. A University of Minnesota diploma does not indicate a student's major; majors are indicated on the transcript only.

Expect the University to mail you your diploma about two months after you complete your degree requirements, unless you have a hold which prevents them from doing so. Check for holds on your record. Notify the Registrar's Office when you clear a hold in order to receive your diploma.

Additional diplomas may be ordered for $15 from the Twin Cities campus. Forms should be mailed to the address on the form.


My FA Status
My Workstudy



Financial Aid & Scholarship Office
170 Owen Hall
2900 University Ave
Crookston, MN 56716

Toll Free: 1-800-862-6466
Local: 1-218-281-6510
Fax: 1-218-281-8575
Find us on