University of Minnesota, Crookston
Financial Aid & Scholarships
University of Minnesota, Crookston
UMC Today myU OneStop

Common FAQ's

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Go to and apply online. You will need your taxes from the prior year. Expect to take about one hour to complete the FAFSA. Students who are dependent will need parent assistance to complete the form. The form must be signed by both student and parent (if dependent). We recommend that you (and a parent) request a PIN number at in order to electronically sign your FAFSA application. You will need to request that the University of Minnesota, Crookston (school code: 004069) receive your information. Once UMC receives your FAFSA information, we are able to determine your aid package.

What is a FAFSA?

FAFSA stands for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. We strongly recommend that you do not pay anyone to complete the FAFSA for you. The FAFSA application is required to receive any federal and/or state financial aid along with any institutional need-based aid. The FAFSA and the formulas used by the Department of Education to calculate your expected family contribution (EFC) were developed by Congress and is used to calculate your financial need.

How do I know if I'm dependent or independent?

The Department of Education and the IRS have different criteria in order determine dependency. You may still be dependent even if your parents did not claim you on their taxes.

For financial aid purposes and for reporting on the FAFSA, you must be able to answer yes to one or more of the following questions:


My parents are divorced and have remarried. Do I have to include my stepparent's tax information when filling out the FAFSA?

You would fill out the FAFSA with the biological parent that has provided the most support over the last year. If that parent is remarried, than you would also include that stepparent's tax information on the FAFSA.

How do I apply for a special circumstance as our last year's taxes do not reflect our current situation?

You would need to fill out the FAFSA with your actual tax information as filed on the priors year's taxes, but can then appeal your financial aid with a Dependent or Independent Special Circumstance form

Why did my aid change from last year to this year?

There are many variables to your financial aid package. Common ones include changes on the FAFSA such as a different number in college or high school or recent capital gains. You may have exceeded the maximum time frame for MN State Grant. Some types of aid can be exhausted and is awarded to students who applied by the priority dates. Academic scholarships require a 3.25 cumulative GPA a second year of renewal. Please contact our office if you have specific questions.

How does financial aid work over the summer?

We package summer aid sometime in late April after you have registered for your classes. Summer semester is considered the trailer semester of the current academic year. If you have not used up all of your eligibility over fall/spring terms, you may be eligible for the remainder over the summer. The FAFSA carries over from the previous fall/spring terms and is still part of that year.

How do I get notified of my financial aid?

Initially new students admitted for the Fall Semester will get a paper estimated FAAN (Financial Aid Award Notification) sent to their home address in the spring. The official award notice will be emailed to the students UMC email account during the summer/winter break months.

How do I check my financial aid status?

You can check to see what step you are on in the financial aid process at any time at the UMC Financial Aid - My Financial Aid Status Button link.

I have been selected for verification, what is it and what do I do?

Verification requires that we cross check what was submitted on the FAFSA with your tax information, household information and other relevant data items.

Go to the forms section and print off the verification form for dependent or independent student, depending on what you are. Dependent students will need to provide signed copies of you and your parent(s) federal taxes and all previous year's W2's. For independent students, please submit yours (and your spouse's) federal signed tax return and W2's. Additional forms will be requested if needed.

When will my financial aid be disbursed?

At the earliest, financial aid is disbursed 10 days prior to the start of the term, assuming your file is complete. File "complete" means that:

  1. We have received the student's electronic Financial Aid Award Notification (eFAAN) accepting the aid offered;
  2. We have received all information requested from the student (e.g., Entrance Counseling, Verification Worksheets, etc. This will vary by individual student);
  3. and the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships has completed processing the student's application.

Financial aid payments will be credited electronically to a student's individual billing account. The student's aid programs will be credited to his or her billing account and applied against the bill for tuition, fees, and on-campus room and board charges and any additional charges that may have been incurred (bookstore charges, health insurance, etc.,).

NOTE: Any outstanding balance amounts the student owes pending aid are collected at time of disbursement.

For more information contact the Business Office at (218) 281-8331.

Where does my financial aid go once it's disbursed?

It goes electronically into your student account and pays towards your tuition, fees, books, room and board.

How much does UMC cost?

Cost of Attendance Budget

What is UMC's out of state tuition cost?

UMC does not charge out of state tuition. This is a significant savings for our non-residents and international students.

Am I mailed the bill?

No, you the student will receive an electronic billing statement to your UMC email account after classes have begun. You will not be mailed this statement to your home address.

How do I access my student account?

Click on the student account link for information regarding your bill.

When/where can I pick up my excess check? (I want to live off campus, can I get financial aid to pay for that?)

Once your bill has been paid, you can pick up your excess check at the Business Office, located in Selvig Hall on the first day of classes.

How do I set up direct deposit?

Please visit the direct deposit link under "Quick Links" on the right side of this page.

How do I get my books if I don't have any money up front?

If you are expecting financial aid to help pay for your books you can use your U Card to charge your books from our bookstore to your student account.

Can my parents call to get information about my financial aid and/or bill?

Only if you have filled out and completed the parent/guest access form.The student must initiate the process by inviting a guest to have access. The guest then logs in to activate the account. Once completed, the student then verifies the guest's information.

I am an aviation student, how does financial aid take into account those additional costs?

After you have registered for your aviation classes, we increase your overall budget to accommodate for those flying expenses and you are emailed and mailed a copy of the budget adjustment. You can take out various loans to help with those additional costs. Adjustments to your budget and financial aid occur every semester based on the costs of the aviation courses for which you are enrolled.

I'm a first time student loan borrower at UMC and have accepted a Direct Loan. Where do I go sign the promissory note?

You can go online to and sign your master promissory note online with your FAFSA PIN number.

I'm a first time student loan borrower at UMC and have accepted a Direct loan. Where do I complete the entrance counseling requirement and take the quiz?

You can go to and click on the link to entrance counseling at the top of the site. Read through the information carefully and then take the quiz. Don't forget to submit the results to our school!

I've accepted a SELF loan, now what do I do?

First, your co-signer should get pre-qualified at Once they are pre-qualified, then you the borrower should go back to that site, apply online, print the promissory note and directions, get signatures, and mail to the Minnesota Office of Higher Education (MOHE).

My parents want to take out a Parent Plus loan. How would they do this?

Please have your parent(s) complete the PLUS Loan Active Confirmation Form with the amount they wish to borrow. Please mail or fax the form back to our office. The parent borrower will also have to sign the parent plus promissory note online with their PIN number at

The PLUS Loan does require that a parent be credit-worthy. If a parent is denied the PLUS Loan, the student becomes eligible for additional loan funds through the Direct Loan program. Please contact our office for more information.

What is an alternative or private loan and how do I apply?

An alternative loan or sometimes called a private loan is a loan through a bank or lender. These loans are typically used to fill the gap between what we've offered you in grants and aid and what your cost of attendance is. Please note that alternative loans typically require certification by the financial aid office. We are only able to certify loans up to your cost of attendance less any other aid. For more information, please visit our alternative loan site.

I am an international student. Do I qualify for financial aid or scholarships?

You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen to be eligible for financial aid and academic scholarships. As an international student, you are eligible to apply for Specialty Scholarships, including multiple ½ tuition waivers. Additionally, international students may borrow through various alternative loan programs with a credit-worthy U.S. citizen as a co-signer.

How do I apply for scholarships?

UMC offers two different scholarship programs. Academic scholarships, based on academic achievement, are automatically awarded once a student is admitted. Academic scholarships require a minimum GPA of 3.25 and are based on ACT score.

Specialty Scholarships are awarded based on various criteria, including major, hometown, leadership skills, etc. Funds may have been given to UMC and designated by the donor. Students must apply for specialty scholarships via an online application. The application is available to be completed from early January through February 15th for scholarships awarded Fall Semester.

Who do I talk to regarding athletic scholarships?

As part of DII NCAA athletics, UMC is able to award athletic scholarships to student athletes. Please visit with the athletic coach for more information. The Financial Aid Office does not award any athletic scholarships.

I accepted work-study on my award, now what do I do?

You will be responsible in finding work-study employment on-campus. You may search work-study positions online. You will need to contact the contact person and secure employment on your own. Once hired, you will need to fill out an employee contract between you and your supervisor, which you can get from the Financial Aid Office once you arrive on campus. You will also need to turn in payroll documents ( I-9, W-4, and Human Resource Information Form) prior to submitting a time card.

I have a hold on my account, how do I check to see what it is?

Log in to check holds now.

What is our refund policy?

You may find detailed information online.

How does a bad semester academically affect my financial aid?

Students are required to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress. You can be suspended from receiving financial aid if you do not meet the certain criteria related to academic progress. A warning hold will be placed and you will be given a semester of probation if you don't attain the standards of satisfactory academic progress. The following stipulations are required at the time you reach 60 credits.


My FA Status



Financial Aid & Scholarship Office
170 Owen Hall
2900 University Ave
Crookston, MN 56716

Toll Free: 1-800-862-6466
Local: 1-218-281-6510
Fax: 1-218-281-8575
Find us on