University of Minnesota, Crookston
Financial Aid & Scholarships
University of Minnesota, Crookston
UMC Today myU OneStop

Workstudy Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How do I apply for work-study?

Work study is awarded as part of your financial aid package. Students who demonstrate financial need and meet the requirements for receiving financial aid are automatically packaged with a work-study award. Please visit the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships if you are interested in work-study and have not been awarded work-study.

How do I know if I qualify for work-study?

Click on  UMC Financial Aid - My Financial Aid Status Button to see if you have been awarded. You must accept your work-study before the payroll process can begin.

Where and how do I apply for a job on-campus?

Click on Find an On-Campus Workstudy Job Button to view all on-campus workstudy positions. Please contact the person listed by phone and/or email and let them know you are interested in the position. It doesn’t hurt to contact more than one area, as some areas tend to fill up quickly. Once hired, your supervisor and you will complete the Employee Contract. The contract is then submitted to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships where your employment is then set up in the system. This contract must be filled out each year. Keep in mind that many supervisors are off during the summer months, so please be patient in their response.

What payroll documents do I need to fill out prior to starting my job?

If you have not worked on-campus as a work-study student before, you will need to turn in your Employee Contract and complete the I-9 Electronic Form. Once you have electronically completed the I-9, please bring in your supporting documents (Drivers License and Social Security Card and/or Birth Certificate) for verification by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.

How do I keep track of my hours worked?

After you have officially been hired for work-study employment and have turned in all your required payroll documentation, you will be emailed an electronic timecard to your UMC email account. You will keep track of all your hours on your electronic timecard. You will need to print, sign and submit your timecard by Monday 4:30 pm on a bi-weekly basis. Please note that your supervisor’s signature is also required on your timecard.

When do I get paid?

Pay days are scheduled for every other Wednesday based on the official University of Minnesota, Crookston calendar.

Where do I pick up my work-study check?

You may pick up a paper check at the Business Office, located in Selvig Hall, or you can elect to set up direct deposit to your checking account and no paper check will be cut.

What do I do if I can't make it to work because I'm sick or have to study for a test?

ALWAYS contact your supervisor if you cannot make it in to work. This is a real job with real expectations. Remember, your supervisor may make a good reference for you on your resume. Supervisors should understand that you are a student first and an employee second. If you have any issues with your supervisor, please see the Financial Aid staff.

How much does work-study pay an hour?

Our minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. However, some supervisors choose a different pay scale. Some supervisors do provide raises for returning students.

How much can I earn in work-study?

Typically we award up to $1000 for the year in work-study to a student. If you have earned your full allocation in the fall term only, then you typically cannot tap into more work-study for the spring term. Some students can however work out an arrangement to be hired initially at a higher amount with their supervisor and the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. Typically the average work-study work week is about 4-5 hours per week.


My FA Status



Financial Aid & Scholarship Office
170 Owen Hall
2900 University Ave
Crookston, MN 56716

Toll Free: 1-800-862-6466
Local: 1-218-281-6510
Fax: 1-218-281-8575
Find us on