University of Minnesota, Crookston
Business Office
University of Minnesota, Crookston
UMC Today myU OneStop

Cancellation & Refunds Policy

Cancellation from College

If you decide to WITHDRAW from college anytime after registering, you must complete a form available at the Office of the Registrar. Completion of the cancellation procedure is CRUCIAL in order to establish a date for potential tuition and fees refund and in order to ensure that you will not receive "F" grades for all courses in which you are registered. If you have any questions, ask your faculty adviser or contact the Office of the Registrar

Changes in Registration (Cancel/Add)

Subject to certain limitations, you may add or cancel classes or may change grading option. Courses cannot be added after the second week of classes. Procedures for adding or canceling are different if you use web self-registration than if you are required to register in-person. Deadlines are different for part-term courses. See Refund and Drop/Add Deadlines for detailed information.

Full tuition is charged on a per-credit basis for all changes in registration that increase your credit load up to 13 credits. However, no additional tuition is charged for more than 13 credits or when any course addition is balanced at the same time by a course cancellation, i.e., a cancellation equal to the number of credits being added. Refunds are issued on a per-credit basis according to the refund rate that applies to the date of cancellation. Additional course fees may apply (online fees, lab fees, etc.).

Retroactive Tuition Refund

In a very limited number of circumstances (e.g., medical, military duty, attendance at another institution) retroactive cancellations may be possible. If retroactive cancellation is authorized within one semester of the term in question and no later than August 31 of that fiscal year, you may be entitled to a tuition refund. Petitions for retroactive tuition refund based on a failure to cancel or nonattendance will not be approved. Check with the Registrar's office for more information and a petition form.

How to Change Your Registration

To change your course load or grading system, you should:

  1. Visit the MyU webpage to make the change or fill out a Registration form if canceling in person. Depending on the date of the term, instructor, adviser, or Academic Standards & Policy Committee approval if required.

Any assessment or credit amount that results from a change in registration is posted to your account at Student Accounts Receivable. New assessments will appear on your next billing statement.

Gaining Admission to a Closed Course

In general, you should first go to the department offering the course, where you may be referred to the instructor for permission to register. You can also attend the first class meeting to see if more students will be admitted, and if so, obtain the instructor’s permission. To register in a closed course, you must have a class permission number from the academic department or instructor.

Change of Grading Option

You may not change your grading option after the second week of classes. The grade option of A/F is required to have the course count toward your graduation requirements unless the course is only offered as an S/N option.

When to Cancel Courses

If you decide before the term begins not to attend, cancel before the first day of classes. If you stop attending class for any reason, cancel immediately. On occasion, a course may be cancelled by the department offering the course. The Office of the Registrar will automatically cancel that specific course from your registration. Cancellations are effective the day you officially cancel (either by canceling on-line or by taking a completed Registration Form to the Office of the Registrar). Withdrawal in the ninth or later week of classes (fourth or later in summer sessions) shall require approval of the college and may not be granted solely because a student is failing a course; there must be extenuating non-academic circumstances justifying late withdrawal.

One-Time Drop Policy

Each student may, once during his or her undergraduate enrollment, withdraw from a course without college approval, and receive a "W," at any time up to and including the last day of class for that course. This process cannot be completed through the web registration page. The required form must be completed and returned to the Office of the Registrar.

Transcript Record of Cancelled Classes

When you cancel an individual course during the first two weeks of the term there is no transcript record of that course. If you cancel ALL courses during the first two weeks, a notation of cancellation will appear on your record, although no "Ws" will be recorded. Cancellation of any course after the second week of the term will result in a "W" on your record.

Please direct any questions to the Business Office.

Direct Deposit UMC Lock Icon
Parent/Guest Access UMC Lock Icon
Student Account UMC Lock Icon
Make a Payment UMC Lock Icon
Request a Transcript UMC Lock Icon
Ethics Point   

University of Minnesota, Crookston
Business Office

121 Selvig Hall
2900 University Ave
Crookston, MN 56716
800-UMC-MINN ext. 8331