University of Minnesota, Crookston
Crookston & Northwestern Minnesota
The way you’ll spend your time out of the classroom is just as important as the time you’ll spend in the classroom. Crookston and the surrounding Red River Valley bring opportunities for relaxation and enjoyment year round! Below you’ll find just a partial list of the endless activities to explore.
- Bird watching
- Cross-country skiing
- Ice fishing
- Ice Skating
Places to visit year-round
- Bergeson Gardens
- Glacial Ridge Nature Conservancy
- Itasca State Park
- Old Mill State Park
- Rydell National Wildlife Refuge
- Tympanucus Wildlife Management Area
- Wetland Pines and Prairie Audubon Sanctuary
- Natural History Area
- Agassiz Environmental Center/Fertile Sand Hills
- Heritage Village
- Hout Park Historical Site
- Ox Cart Days – one of the top festivals in northwestern Minnesota!
- King of Trails Fall Marketplace – vendors with unique merchandise and retailer sidewalk sales galore!
- Winter Wonderland – open the Christmas holiday season with carolers, holiday treats, and retail sales!
Shopping, Arts & Entertainment
Grand Forks, ND (24 miles) is just a short drive away!
- North Dakota Ballet Company
- North Valley Arts Council
- Empire Theater
- Grand Forks Symphony
- Alerus Center
- Engelstad Arena
- Columbia Mall
The beauty of the Red River Valley region will make relaxing from studying easy. Visit the following Web sites to explore even more ways to enjoy life in Crookston and the surrounding areas: