UMC Liberal Arts and Education Department
University of Minnesota, Crookston
Elementary Education Key Features
- Hands-on experiences - The Elementary Education program requires numerous experiences in actual elementary classrooms in the local schools. Students implement assignments in which they interact, observe, tutor and teach children as part of their courses. Students complete two student teaching placements during their senior year.
- Full-time faculty instructors and advisors - University of Minnesota, Crookston's (UMC) Elementary Education students are taught, advised and mentored by full-time Education faculty.
- Students are taught to use a variety of research-based instructional strategies as well as multiple performance-based assessment practices.
- All students must complete a Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA) which is a nationally recognized assessment of readiness to teach.
- Teachers trained at UMC are leaders who make a tremendous professional and civic impact in their local communities.
- Understand and apply educational principles to the development of a young child.
- Have the knowledge of and the ability to use a variety of assessment tools and practices to plan and evaluate effective teaching.
- Demonstrate knowledge of fundamental concepts of language arts, reading, and literature, mathematics, social studies, science, physical education and health, and visual and performing arts.
- Our program prepares you to succeed in the classroom and impact your students.
- This program provides students with the knowledge, skills and dispositions to be effective, highly qualified teachers.
Questions? Chat with Admissions!
Awards & Honors