Early Childhood Education, BS
The passion for teaching and working with children is a rewarding field. Earn an Early Childhood Education degree at the University of Minnesota, Crookston (UMC). This is a career-orientated program that prepares you to serve the needs of students from birth through eight years of age. Impact the next generation and gain the skills to do so with a degree from the U of M, Crookston. When completing the primary education emphasis you can apply for a Minnesota State Teachers License.
- The Early Childhood Education program at the University of Minnesota, Crookston emphasizes a developmental approach to teaching and learning, integrating the fields of child development, early childhood education, family relations, and small business management. Graduates are uniquely qualified to be effective teachers of young children (from birth through age 8 or 3rd grade) and/or to manage high-quality early childhood programs.
- Students majoring in Early Childhood Education at UMC benefit from this state-of-the-art Early Childhood facility, which provides them with an opportunity to observe and participate in a teacher-training laboratory at an actual child development facility. The facility was meticulously planned to serve as a model center for early childhood care and education. Under the supervision of UMC's faculty, students gain experience working directly with children in different "lab" settings. Observation, seminar, and resource rooms provide areas for students to prepare lesson plans and to analyze interactions.
- Graduates will learn to comprehend and value the importance and complex characteristics of children’s families and communities and use communication skills to effectively establish and maintain positive, respectful, collaborative relationships that support, involve, and empower families in their child’s development and learning.
Learn more >>>
Students who wish to finish their teacher licensure within their degree program, or who wish to teach in public school classrooms with kindergarten through third grade, will need to complete the primary education emphasis. Students who wish to increase their academic preparation for supervisory, management, and/or leadership roles in the field may choose the program management emphasis.
View the degree requirements and sample course plans >>>
- Preschool, Kindergarten & Elementary Teachers
- Directors of Early Childhood Education Programs
- Early Childhood Family Educators
Plus many more >>>
Related Majors and Minors
Interested in a double major or minor to complement your Early Childhood Education degree? Check out these other majors at UMC.