Criminal Justice, BS
The Criminal Justice B S from the University of Minnesota, Crookston provides students with the knowledge that prepares them for careers in law enforcement, corrections, and other public and private agencies. Learn about the prevention and investigation of crime, U. S. laws, and the legal system. Develop the essential skills, values, and an ethical consciousness that will allow you to flourish in this field with a degree from U of M, Crookston.
- The Criminal Justice program combines the strong disciplinary traditions of social science, communications, statistics, technical writing, and the humanities.
- This program focuses upon applied skills in research, theory, management and intervention that are unique to the criminal justice field, especially in terms of community processes, social problems, and social change.
- The Minnesota Board of Peace Officer Standards & Training (POST) has approved the certification of the criminal justice program at the University of Minnesota, Crookston. The certification means graduates from UMC are eligible to become licensed police officers in Minnesota. This program is also the only POST-certified criminal justice program in the University of Minnesota system.
- Full-time criminal justice faculty possess terminal degrees as well as significant criminal justice experience in the field.
Learn more >>>
Criminal justice majors choose either law enforcement or corrections emphasis. Both emphases include elective credits that allow students to choose courses of specific interest. Students who complete the law enforcement emphasis and approved skills training will be eligible to take the state board exam to become a licensed police officer.
View the degree requirements and sample course plans >>>
- sheriffs & detectives
- judges & hearing officers
- forensic scientists & fraud investigators
- fire inspectors & dispatchers
Plus many more careers >>>
Related Majors and Minors
If you are interested in Criminal Justice, check out these other majors and minors that the University of Minnesota, Crookston offers that are similar or serve as a double major.